Friday, January 30, 2009

The wait is over...

Another cold morning....this time a 23 degree low just before sunrise. Had a great night's sleep with no overly dramatic dreams to wake me up. Got in 9 1/2 hours of shut eye. For 2 nights in a row, parts of my SHWH system froze up - and still no damage. As I was on the ladder checking the hoses this morning, 2 new longhorns arrived for a breakfast snack. A young mother and weened calf that I have named Beatrice and Guillermo.

Took my time readjusting the hot water manifold and added a longer hose to the tank outlet. I lowered and centered the manifold on the stall and hinged it at the top to it can be tilted to catch more sun as it is tracing higher in the sky each day this time of year. Was just about ready to build the west insulated end for the tank enclosure when I decided to hold off as I figured out that I need to do a slight plumbing adjustment and would need to drain some water. Had a plan for draining some water a bit later in the day. My new bovine visitors showed back up far an early dinner so I served up some range feed and water, pulled up a chair and a beer and joined them as we listened to "All Things Considered" on NPR. I sat next to them for about an hour while we all listened to the radio and they munched away.
The wind picked up again this afternoon, so I hung a tarp over my shower opening and as promised.....I took a shower - a most excellent shower I must say. And this wasn't just any shower....the longest I have ever had here at The Field Lab. A slow/steady/warm flow for 25+ minutes and there was plenty more if I wanted. I'm guessing I used about 6 gallons. I think the new system is going to work out just fine!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for bathing. Wonder if you could use the runoff greywater for an herb garden or something...

MsBelinda said...

Even if you used up six gallons, it was well worth it...I am sure your friends are greatful and will ask you back to dinner.

I decided to follow your example but since there are no longhorns at my house I opted to name the three cats that hang around here all the time...Cirilo, Leo Jr. and Oso.

Anonymous said...

Where does your shower water drain.

Anonymous said...

I noticed the drain post and wondered the same. Is there recourse to re-using that water?

Like the pictures... especially when you can click on them to get a larger view.

Anonymous said...

Few things in life make me feel as good as a nice hot (warm?) shower!

Plant some hardy herbs near the shower run-off.

Anonymous said...

Feel better now since ya finally got that shower?!! I am amazed at all your creativity! Oh, and I'll trade you temperatures any time you want! Last night, it was 6 degrees here in KY!

Anonymous said...

Beatrice appears to have lesions...is that common to longhorns? USDA could take a look...