Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Odessa

Made the long round trip to Odessa today. It is a tough one day trip which called for precision planning.  Got an eye exam for a new prescription at Eye Masters (like Lens Crafters).  My old eyeglass frames where filthy and just about worn out - the lenses scratched and paint splattered.  Finally got around to getting a new set with frames I ordered last year.  My glasses were ready in one hour. 

Found some glass at Home Depot to make a couple of new solar ovens for some folks that have expressed interest.  To my surprise, I also found that HD had the transparent polycarbonate I need for the greenhouse roof - 10 bucks cheaper than the Do It Best builders supply store there.  Will have to make another trip in about two weeks to load up which is fine by me because I didn't have time this trip to lunch with my buddy Guy Hodges at Hooters.

Visited the great staff at Mueller Steel to order more materials for the greenhouse (and dropped off some FL tshirts and Benita postcards for them).  They have all been following the progress since I bought the first load.  Had a nice time with the gang - they are an integral part of the Field Lab Team.

Left Odessa at 4:30 with a big storm behind me and drove into the dark abyss of a storm south of me.  Got rained on from Monahans to Alpine.  The roads were dry as a bone by the time I got home....not a lick of rain here today.  86,101,70,0,B

8 comments:

Bruce S said...

Glad you made it back home without incident. I agree that the Mueller folks are great. I built a building using Mueller steel from Sherman, Texas and it was a great experience. Keep up the great work.

Bill in Texas said...

When you get paint on your glasses, soak them in water for 20 or 30 minutes. You should then be able to rub the paint off with your fingers.

Anonymous said...

Big pimple is almost done, he he he.

austinmodhouse said...

nice lighting on the glasses.

Allen Hare said...

I also like the glasses photo - nice setting, composition, and lighting. I think it's great how you make the most ordinary objects look great with your photography.
I was making my usual run from D/FW out to Stanton, TX (half way to El Paso) on Tuesday night. I checked the weather app on my cell phone, and the radar showed a lot of storm activity out your way. Amazing that you didn't get a drop!

John said...

John, would you mind passing on the site you found your eyeglass frames? I have been looking to replace some frames of mine that look identical to yours and have had a hard time finding a source for that style of frames. I'd appreciate it.. John

John Wells said...

got the frames here...
http://www.eyeglass.com/ronclasey.html

Anonymous said...

I lived in Odessa for 25 years..there are some great people there.