Sunday, October 28, 2012

selfish ambition

I learned last week at church that Jesus spoke to Dick Cain's daughter Sheila.  Years before I had even met Sheila, she was instructed to tell her father to give Benita to me.  She had heard about me from her father and had been following the blog and knew of how I had cared for the old cow through my own compassion.  I am thankful to have had the opportunity to give aid to these beasts. These longhorns certainly appreciate compassion and affection.  The fundamental nature in all living things in God's creation is to seek pleasure and avoid pain.  When I found Benita, she was sickly and had just lost her calf.  My ambition was only to help the old girl and give her a few good last years.  Now I know that she was a gift from God to me...as is Ben.
Philippians 2:3-4
Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others. 62,80,38,0,B,0

13 comments:

gumo said...

Sunday nights just get better and better. Thanks, John.

Gene Adcock said...

Ditto what 'gumo' said above!

Anonymous said...

Look forward to Sunday evenings with you, too. Especially tonight after a long weekend of school teacher work. Helps get my perspective back. Thank you.

David Hooper said...

Thank you for your words John, a great way to start the week.

"The Hoop"

Unknown said...

God knows what we need even before we do. Love that picture of Benita. She was a beautiful cow. She is what I picture everytime I hear the word "longhorn".

Dizzy-Dick said...

You are a good man, John.

pamit said...

Wonderful post.

Is something wrong with Benita's front right hoof in that picture? it looks very swollen.

Anonymous said...

spipping church today dudes xxxx

Rita B. said...

Boy she was pretty.

smreid said...

And you were her gift. Lucky old girl.

Allen Hare said...

Beautiful.

Craig said...

Thanks for sharing this with us, John, you are a very wise man.

I believe God also saw that you may be as lost as Benita was with the loss of your sweet dog (Goldie?)in your new surroundings and brought you together. There is no doubt that Benita loved you and I also believe she wanted and did give you as much pleasure as you ever did her. In my humble opinion, You are a lucky man to have got to spend her last few years with her as she was you.

God Bless you, John.

Freebirdmcmlvii said...

I feel such pity for those who do not understand love and compassion for God's wonderful creatures. What joy they give us. God bless you, John.