Wednesday, December 24, 2014

2 operations

For me...the 4 hour surgery went by in a flash.  One second I am breathing something funny and the next - I'm waking up with my teeth chattering in recovery.  I was alive and cold with beard intact - and a bit of a sore throat from a breathing tube.

They rolled me into room 640 for my first night in the hospital.  First time I had a chance to call and let someone know my critters were home alone.  Got a hold of Ronald Nelson and put him in charge of TFL.  Slept pretty good with a squirt of morphine into my IV every 4 hours - even though it seemed like every five minutes someone was coming in to check my vitals or take blood. Time went by incredibly slowly.  That first night I remember thinking at one point it had to be about 4 in the morning when in fact it was only 9:30PM.  I had all day Sunday to get accustomed to my new accommodations and try to get a handle on how time passes.  Didn't get my first taste of hospital food till Sunday night - turkey with mashed potatoes and gravy, zucchini, pudding and iced tea.

Monday was a waiting game.  No food and just some tiny sips of water while I waited for my next surgery.  At 2PM they rolled me back to the OR.  I was in a room with 2 other patients also waiting to go under the knife.  A nurse came around to double check everyone by asking names and birth dates and what kind of operation we were about to get.  I told her "vasectomy" and she followed my lead by saying no - I was scheduled for a hysterectomy.  We all made sure we knew what I was there for in the end.

A very nice female anesthesiologist came to talk to me.  She explained that the way they were dosing me this time, there wouldn't be a hard tube shoved down my throat.  As I came into the OR, she slipped a little something into my IV and I was out like a light for round 2.

To be continued...
45,55,26,0,C

22 comments:

Larry G said...

this has to be the internet equivalent of everyone pushed up close to John, sitting on the edge of their seats listening raptly!

and much appreciated !!

;-)

Night*Sky said...

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!

czardastx said...

Better a tube down your throat then one up your...whoopsie, I see that didn't happen by the urinal on the table. :)

Dizzy-Dick said...

Hope you are all fixed up and ready to return to the Field Lab.

WhyR said...

You tell a mean tale, JW, and very droll, too.

Y'know, it looks like you're going to be sitting around for awhile within reach of a keyboard...

If you can't build it outside, maybe build it inside.

Dale said...

But John, how's your new stove working for you?

Margery Billd said...

Yes, you could write a book. Brought me back to my hospital encounters. Just kickin back on the holidays. Have an enjoyable day. TY for your posts.

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas & God Bless you & yours John.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MsBelinda said...

It is like a suspense novel...I am anxiously awaiting the next chapter...

Rita B. said...

Merry Christmas John. Anxiously awaiting Chapter 4. Brings back memories of my (busted) knee surgery.

Just a small fire said...

what are you working on to keep busy?

Ricardo said...

Merry Christmas, John.

Hate that you're in this condition at this time of year. Or any time of year at that.

Have a good day.

MountainManMike said...

Merry Christmas John. Glad you're getting better. Isn't it amazing how life can change in an instant. Do you expect there to be any long term effects physically?

S.A.B.L.E. said...

Well John, you did a real good on the leg. Glad to hear you had a good team putting it back together. Hope the mending process continues well.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

S.A.B.L.E. said...

..sorry about the typo, you did a real good job on the leg...

Take care!

Grandmama Sarah said...

So glad you are here to tell the story!

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas from the cold, blue north.

BigBuc said...

wishing you well, and a merry Christmas. get well soon.
gives you some time to reflect and write. maybe some how - to ebooks.

pamit said...

Snugged up around the storyteller's fire indeed!

Mike Silvius said...

John: Saw one of these the other day and immediately thought of you. Don't know if you'd be able to use one, but if you can it might be able to allow you a greater degree of mobility and self sufficiency.

http://blog.4mdmedical.com/2013/11/iwalk2-0-hands-free-knee-crutch/

http://www.1800wheelchair.ca/product/5321/i-walk-free-knee-crutch

Michele McKay said...

That's exactly how I feel, and John is such a great story teller too!!