Saturday, November 21, 2015

CRH

While running errands yesterday, I decided to try my luck at a little coin roll hunting.  Stopped by my bank and swapped $100 of paper for 200 half dollar coins.  Went through the rolls this morning and found a wide variety right down to 1971 (pay dirt starts at 1970).  1965 - 1970 is 40% silver...1964 and earlier is 90% silver.  Oh well...not out any money and now I have 5 pounds of pocket change.  Pehaps I'll give it another shot next time I go to town.  42,56,50,0,W

6 comments:

Rob said...

I cannot remember the last time I had a 50 cent piece as change.

Margery Billd said...

Interesting.

Unknown said...

Too bad we can't get our piggy banks back from the 1950's!

Margery Billd said...

The price range for reg. Shell in the 25 mile area I drove N. Of San Antonio was 1.87, 1.84, 1.70, 1.95.

texas rancher said...

Anything at a bank has already been checked! People taking grandpa's rolled coins to the bank has been long gone! People on ebay selling unchecked coins is bull too! They throw in a few good coins to fool people, but still make a killing!

Cortezzz said...

I thought banks were required to separate the actual copper and silver from any change they receive daily and return it to the feds. They are supposed to release it though if you ask for it. So you would just go into a bank and ask if they have any silver coins that are to be returned. If they do, they are supposed to turn them over at face value.

This may be an old wives tale. I have never tried it... But asking a bank teller would be an easy conversation starter...